On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Cere M. Davis wrote:

> I have found the weirdest problem with (I think) DBD::Ingres,
> DBI::trace() and Apache::DBI when the DBI::trace level is set to 1 or 0.
>
> I get an error in the Apache error_logs that says:
>
>       unitialized value at
> /uns/mind/usr/local/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005/alpha-dec_osf/
>        DBD/Ingres.pm line 85.
>
> and than follows with text that implies that the connection was made and

In my code that line is smack bang in the middle of sub connect, the
line
  unless (-d "$ENV{'II_SYSTEM'}/ingres") {
to be exact.

Why on earth that fails when line 81 is
  unless ($ENV{'II_SYSTEM'}) {
I can't figure out.

Possibly your lines are not the same as mine?

I am not sure that you have connected to the database at all.

The 'normal' error here is to have forgotten to set $ENV{II_SYSTEM}
correctly - I assume that you have done that.

> the data was retrived correctly.   I get an error regarding my program
> below:
>
>       DBD::Ingres::bind_param: parameter not a number at
>       /homes/clin_infr/cere/public_html/WebDBIDemo.pl line 46.
>
> Which implies that my variable didn't get passed into the prepare
> statement correctly...but I can't figure out why.

This error comes when the first argument to $sth->bind_param is not
numeric. How that can come about if the connection fails I just can't
imagine.

> I suspect that this error comes about during the connection phase of the
> DBI calls.  Does
> anyone have a suggestion for how to find out for sure?
>
> The DBI::Ingres stuff works fine at all trace levels on the command line
> but seems to have a problem with the mod_perl stuff.
>
> If anyone has extperience to share regarding this I'd love to hear it...
>
> Anyway,  here's my system vitals:
>
> I'm running Ingres1.2 - accessing remote database via IngresNet -  DBI
> version 1.13
> DBD::Ingres version 0.24, mod_perl 1.21 and Apache::BDI version 0.87.

Brave man!
I havn't tested DBD::Ingres with Apache::DBI (we prefer not to allow
the web server to access the database directly) so you are trampling
on relatively virgin ground.

Some parts of Apache::DBI require cached statement handles - this is
*NOT* supported by the current version of DBD::Ingres. I have been
working on it, but my supply of tuits is low again.

---
Henrik Tougaard    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (a.k.a. [EMAIL PROTECTED])
Datani A/S, Software Consultants, Copenhagen, Denmark
#include <disclaim.std>