Hi,

I've written an Apache perl module. The module is supposed to look at
the request, and do some DBI selects in an MySQL table, then display
them with HTML::Template. There were initially some issues with scoping,
I hacked through these and eventually get the module to compile without
all the errors that cause the server not to start.

I've got PerlModule Apache::DBI in my httpd.conf (dev.conf) and I open a
handle to my database before the sub handler {...}.

Now I get only:

[root@melanie /root]# httpsd -X -f /etc/httpd/conf/dev.conf
[Wed Jan 26 10:28:38 2000] [warn] Loaded DSO modules/libperl.so uses
plain Apache 1.3 API, this module might crash under EAPI! (plea
e it with -DEAPI)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root@melanie /root]#

For the record, RedHat's response to the above warning seems to be "Well
it only matters if you're using SSL calls, and you're not, so go to
hell." ... This from a RedHat systems engineer:

>It is a warning, not an error.  You may ignore it.
>It simply means the modules were compiled for a non-SSL-enabled version
>of Apache.  If the modules do not use any SSL functionality, there will
>be no problem.

Whatever, I guess I have take their word for it (or roll my own with
Open SSL which I really can't spare the time to fight with.) Anyway,
some simpler early test versions of the module (before adding the DBI
and HTML::Template stuff) worked, so I THINK mod_perl is OK. There are
some registry scripts running against the same httpsd and mod_perl to
support this assertion.

Nothing is really showing up in the logs (the warning does, nothing
else), I'm wondering if this rings a bell with anyone.

Perhaps someone could point me to a clearer explanation of Apache::DBI
persistent connections etc...

I'm still a bit mystified as to the difference for scoping and name
spaces between scripts (modules) that are handlers and scripts that run
under Apache::Registry. I have read Stas's section on this AND man
APache::DBI AND perldoc DBI AND Jeff Baker's thing. Unfortunately they
didn't clear up my confuson. For various reasons (aparently including
masocisim <G>) I am trying to write my own handler.

Thanks,
John Walker