Hi,

A week or two ago, in the squid performance thread, I mentioned that I was
looking for ways to eliminate squid from our production servers.  I noted
that we are using squid to save an expensive trip to the database to
retrieve mostly static files.  At that time I said that I planned to write
a simple cache using shared memory that could be used with mod_perl to
keep data around on the first tier.  This weekend I finally had an
opportunity to do just that.

IPC::Cache is rather simple, considering that all the hard work is being
done in the IPC::Shareable the Storable modules.  I just added some basic
namespace semantics and the ability to have data expire after a period of
time.  I'm planning on submitting it to CPAN, but I think it makes sense
to make it available on this list before I do.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who tries it out could send me feedback about
whether it seems to do the trick.

For now, you can get it at:

   http://unto.net/archives/IPC-Cache-0.01.tar.gz

Apologies if that site is a little slow -- I'll move it over to our real
servers and to CPAN in the near future.

Thanks!

-DeWitt