[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am not using global.asa for performance reasons. From what I understand, the
>performance hit from this file getting parsed is quite a bit. I now understand why
>the application variable is getting reset. I was trying to recall if it happened only
>when the last user session timed out ... and that is a huge possibility. I will test
>it out.

The penalty from parsing a global.asa is similar to loading a perl
module, don't worry about it, and if you use Apache::ASP->Loader()
this will all be precached in the parent httpd before the child
forks, so even less to worry about.

> The SessionTimeout variable is set in the httpd.conf for my application.
>
> Any ideas on how I can store some value that persists beyond session and
>application?? Is there a way to dissociate the Application variables from sessions
>... i.e., right now, when the last user session times out, the Application variables
>also get reset. Is there a work around??

To really do this, you should be storing things in a database.
Just have some timestamp created for a user in Session_OnStart.
You can update their last action for each script in Script_OnStart.

As a HACK, you may assume that an Application_OnStart will
happen immediately after Application_OnEnd, and save the data
in a temporary global, later writing it back in Application_OnStart.
I could possibly get you a configuration variable to not reset
$Application, but am loathe to add unnecessary settings.

Because Apache::ASP events rely on per script execution to do
the event management, I do not expect that the above behavior
to change any time soon.

-- Joshua
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA