On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Vivek Khera wrote:

> TM> 2) Better scalability. I've head (but never benchmarked) that SSL in
> TM>    general is 100 times more processor intensive than non-ssl connections.
> TM>    I want my mod_perl server running mod_perl, not mod_ssl! In a
> TM>    high-volume site you're going to have lots of front-end machines
> TM>    underworked anyway, so why not let them do some SSL calculations?
>
> If you have a high volume site that uses SSL, you should really be
> offloading the SSL processing to dedicated cryptography hardware.

A fairly new option, I believe, and an excellent point.

That said, I think that most sites are going to pull that trigger when it
becomes necessary. Putting it up-front in mod_ssl is the best option until
that level of traffic demands the new hardware...

--
-- Tom Mornini
-- InfoMania Printing and Prepress