> Is there a way to get mod_perl to tell how much memory is being used
> by each module and compiled scripts?

Yes, Doug presented a few techniques at the last Perl Conference. I will
put parts of it into a guide at some time in the future ...

it's in "Part III - Debugging and Optimizing mod_perl Modules". Basically
you should use these modules:
B::Fathom
B::Graph
B::Deparse
B::Size/B::TerseSize
B::LexInfo/Apache::RegistryLexInfo

which I'm not sure are all available from the current non-devel version of
perl...

Doug, may I put the slides at perl.apache.org? Some of the links are
broken...

Here is the readme from the package:

this package contains the "advanced mod_perl tutorial" presented at
the O'Reilly Open Source Conference in Monterey on Aug 22nd, 1999.

when the tutorial was presented live, it was driven by a dynamic Apache
module, converting .pod to .html on-the-fly and the like.  in addition,
the demos require having an Apache-1.3.9 and mod_perl-1.22-dev
installation, along with the following modules from CPAN:

B::Fathom
B::Graph
B::Deparse
B::Size/B::TerseSize
B::LexInfo/Apache::RegistryLexInfo
Apache::Module/Apache::ShowRequest
libwww-perl
MPEG::MP3Info
Xmms::Remote
Apache::DB

the slide generator was in no shape to make available to the public.
so, the slides in this package are all static, thanks to the magic of
"save-as", emacs, and perl -pi

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com