I just installed mod_perl using these instructions (from INSTALL.apaci):

 $ gunzip <apache_1.3.X.tar.gz | tar xvf -
 $ gunzip <mod_perl-1.X.tar.gz | tar xvf -
 $ cd mod_perl-1.X
 $ perl Makefile.PL \
     APACHE_PREFIX=/path/to/install/of/apache \
     APACHE_SRC=../apache-1.3.X/src \
     DO_HTTPD=1 \
     USE_APACI=1 \
     EVERYTHING=1 \
     APACI_ARGS='[...]' \
     [...]
 $ make
 $ make test
 $ make install

For me, "make" didn't work until I first went to the apache source tree and
did ./configure.  I also added some options to that configure, such as
--enable-module=most \ --enable-shared=max.  I hope I did that correctly
(?).
After having compiled mod_perl and apache together, shouldn't mod_perl be
enabled in httpd.conf?  It isn't.  Have I done things correctly?