well, there has been some NameWithVirtualHost work going on to solve a
related problem - perhaps the behavior you used to see is changing due to
that?

at any rate, check out the new RegistryLoader docs - you can now compile
scripts with the vhost stuff in them:

 $r->handler($uri, $filename, $virtual_hostname);

HTH

--Geoff