    Doug> won't performance suffer in that case?  i "benchmarked" Perl
    Doug> malloc vs. system malloc under solaris once, there were far
    Doug> more syscalls to brk() with system malloc.

Ilya has claimed for about 18 mths now that usemymalloc=y is the Right
Thing to do on Solaris and that previous assertions that Solaris'
malloc is better are no longer true.  He claims that perl's malloc is
tuned to perl's memory usage patterns resultinging in the lower
overhead and supposedly greater speed.

That said, I still don't run that way. :)

--
Stephen

"And what do we burn apart from witches?"... "More witches!"