On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Adi wrote:

> I get an intermittent error using Apache::Session while trying to tie a
> session.  It occurs sometimes and the only way to fix it I've found is to
> reboot.  The weird thing is that I change nothing and rebooting fixes it.
> Looks like a semaphore problem.  Why would the call:
>
>   new IPC::Semaphore
>
> give a Permission denied error?  Has anyone else ran into this problem?  Any
> help greatly appreciated...
>
> My system:
>  RedHat 6.1 (also occurs on RedHat 6.2)
>  RH Secure Server 2.0 (Apache 1.3.3)
>  mod_perl 1.21
>  Apache::Session 1.03

The problem is most likely that you are alternating running Apache as
root, normal users, and nobody.  The problem is that once root create a
semaphore block, nobody else can use it.  If a user creates a semaphore
block, nobody cannot use it.  Rebooting removes all semaphore blocks and
their permissions.

When you get these errors, use ipcs and ipcrm (as root) to examine and fix
your semaphores.

-jwb