According to Stas Bekman:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Bill Jones wrote:
> > AuthDBMUserFile
> >
> > Is there a difference between DBM and GDBM?
> > I always thought they were the same...
> >
> > I found sleepcat (DB) and GDBM, but where is DBM?

> sleepycat == berkeley db (a product of sleepycat.com)
>
> gdbm      == gnu dbm library
>
> dbm       == a global name for all UNIX dbm implementations. This is the
> name of the database type, like RDBMS or flat file are the names of the
> relational DB implementations driven by SQL and simple text file
> with line/record respectively...
>
> But this should go to the perl newsgroup the best...

It turns out to be a long story, because both the gdbm and db
libraries offer ndbm emulation, which is the interface
that apache actually uses, so when you build mod_perl you
end up with whichever library was linked first by the
perl compile.  If you build apache without mod_perl you
end up with whatever appears to be be your ndbm library
which will vary between systems, and especially Linux
distributions.  Some use gdbm - RedHat uses db but seems
to have switched to the file-incompatible 2.x version in
their 6.0 release.  You may have to work a bit to get both
apache and perl to use the same library and you are likely
to have trouble copying the dbm file from one system to
another or even using it after an upgrade.

  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]