Shared pain! Have just been through this.
Sequencing is a little arcane.

Make mod_perl
Install mod_perl
Make Apache
Install Apche
Make test mod_perl.

Mod_perl needs a perl aware Apache.
The additions to the http.conf are stripped out by a perl aware Apache.

I may not have addressed your specific issue, since I have not seen the
first error message.

Have a great day!

--Robert Monical
--Director of CRM Development