I previously posted a question regarding installing
mod_perl.  Specifically, when I ran "make test", the script said it started
the server, then said it was still waiting for the server to warm up, and
finally died.  I had built mod_perl in a directory within my home
directory.  The permissions on my home directory itself were 700.  I was
also building the program as root, probably a bad idea in itself.  At any
rate, the server ran as root and honored the permissions on my home
directory; the script interpreted the "Forbidden" error as the server not
being up, and that produced the message I got.  So if I had either changed
the permissions on my home directory to 755 or built the package as myself,
it probably would have worked.  I just changed the permissions and then
changed them back when done, and that worked fine.

steve