Is there a way to pass data into a SubRequest using the post method?

I'm sure there's something I'm missing ... here's what I have so far:

Inside the content handler of my priamary request I can create a subrequest using
    my $subr = $r->lookup_uri($uri);

I realize that I can set various headers like the Content-Type and Content-Length using
    $subr->header_in('Content-Length' => 1234);

Then I can run the content handler of the subrequest using
    $subr->run;

Inside the content handler for the subrequest I want to be able to read the data using:
    $r->read($buff, $r->header_in('Content-Length'));

Any ideas on how I would set-up the buffer that $r->read() reads from?

Regards,
Chris D'Annunzio