At 09:53 AM 4/20/00 +0530, Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Persitent cookies was the dilemna I was in.
>
>I also found that there are persistent and non-persistent cookies. I wrote
>some test Javascript programs and found out that we can have cookies which
>die after the browser exits. Would this be a good option.
>Another nagging doubt. Is this the way the world implements security with
>CGI or am I missing something ??
The idea that the cookie actually dies with an exiting browser is not
guaranteed. If you are relying on the client-side for your security, this
can be spoofed. I could write an HTTP client the conceivably keeps the
cookie alive and persistent and ignores the expiry info the server sends
with the cookie.

You should be expiring the sessions themselves through a cron job or some
dynamic checking mechanism anyway.

There are many ways to do CGI security. They all have their ups and downs.
Cookies with expiring sessions is one way. Digital Client certificates is
another.... Normal username/password Basic auth is another ...

Really depends on what you want to do and what tradeoffs you want.

Later,
   Gunther