Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> Why do you need to settle on one or the other?
>
> Anyway, the only reason you need Domino IMHO is because you have linked in
> with other Lotus notes applications. However, if this is a public site not
> an intranet, I would strongly urge them not to use this short cut for
> putting apps out there. Lotus Notes apps are badly slapped together front
> ends on top of apps written on another computing paradigm (client
> server)... which don't mix well.

I wholeheartedly agree.  The only reason to even consider using Domino for a
web site is if the company in question already has a lot of Notes applications
and don't want to port them to something else.  If they're only considering
using Domino, tell them "DON'T."

> However, if that argument is not being listened to, you can use the
> engineering tact. Sneak apache in there with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite and
> follow Stas' guide on having backend versus front end servers.

Even if they insist on using Domino, using Apache as the front-end is highly
desirable, because Domino is relatively slow (compared to Apache) and web sites
running from Apache will be *much* easier to deal with in the long run.

After having used Domino in my organization, I must say that if I had to do it
again, I wouldn't.  To get what I needed done, I ended up writing a Java
servlet, and Domino's Java servlet engine is much inferior to, well,
practically everything else.  Unless you're planning to mass migrate
practically *everything* to Notes apps, Domino is just *too much* for your
typical web site.