At 08:24 PM 4/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>You're reading the right INSTALL doc but make sure you follow the
>directions un the heading "the flexible way". Not the other one. Also go
>back and reread all the stuff on compiling and configuring on
>perl.apache.org/guide too.

Yup, I have been following "the flexible way".   Your instructions follow
this, and this is what I followed.  However, you've heard my results.

There are a few updates however, when I copied the apache httpd module to
/usr/sbin, mod_perl's configuration step worked without the apxs warning,
make and make install took longer, and Perlsetenv & perlhandler commands
worked.  hello.world works.  This tells me that either there is a problem
with mod_perl's Makefile.PL, or (more likely) there is something leftover
from the original apache/modperl rpms, which is causing havoc with
mod_perl's Makefile.PL, and screwing up the install.

Even though hello world is working, the make test is still failing as it
was before.  Further, there is a libperl.a in apache/src/modules/.

>It sounds like you on a RH Linux box that has (or had) the rpm Apache
>distro installed. Make it go away. It's a bad thing IMHO.

Yup.  I had done the rpm -e apache mod_perl.  I didnt see any parts left
over.  I dont have the option of reinstalling the os.  I had to do the
apache source because I needed suexec, and you cant get there from the rpms.

<snip>
>You shouldn't even be at item 4 unless you get past make test with no
>errors.  (Don't get so excited I know it's cool but get it working first.)

make test fails, but the other stuff works.  go figure.

>Here's what I do to build Apache/mod_perl on my servers (and I haven't had
>a problem build in really long time, knock on wood).

<snip>

>cd ../apache_1.3.12
>
>./configure --prefix=/opt/www/httpd \
>--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
>--enable-module=rewrite \
>--enable-module=mmap_static \
>--enable-module=log_referer \
>--enable-module=log_agent

when trying to get apache to work (before integrating mod_perl), I couldnt
get functions to work correctly without  --enable-module=most and
--enable-shared=max.  I didnt test combinations of these settings.
without this, none of the loadmodule/addmodule directives in the httpd.conf
worked.   On the various lists to which I tried to get help, the silence
was deafening.  I might try to play with these.

What does your httpd.conf look like?  Loadmodule/Addmodule?   I do a lot of
webhosting, with a ton of namevirtualhosts, cgi-bins, and .htaccess files.

>Jeff Beard

Thanks.

jr
John Riehl