Hi, all

I'm working on improving http://perl.apache.org/guide/control.html and
need your help. I have two requests.

1. In addition to the technique I've already described at
http://perl.apache.org/guide/control.html#Safe_Code_Updates_on_a_Live_Prod
please share the techniques for live server upgrades:

        a. server itself upgarage

        b. code (scripts/modules) upgrade

        c. anything else that I forgot?

Of course the idea is to have close to zero downtime. Hey, I'm not talking
about clusters, where you can just put down a machine at a time and
upgrage while the other servers are working. I'm talking about the basic
setup where you have a single machine. Thanks!

2. The other request is about the "Controlling and Monitoring the
Server" chapter itself. Do you think that in addition to the existing
items (see below) you/we want to see other things related to this chapter.
Probably some of you have different needs than I, so you probably need to
solve other problems (or have already solved them and want to share with
the rest of us).

Also, I'm interested in more scenarios in addition to:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/control.html#Starting_a_Personal_Server_for_E
where more than developer is working on the project.

And of course monitoring scripts, fancy log rotaters, anything that you
think will fit, are very welcome. But before you submit please check out
what's there already so we won't waste the time on duplicates. See
http://perl.apache.org/guide/control.html first!!!

Currently we have there:

         Restarting techniques
         Implications of sending TERM, HUP, and USR1 to the server
         Using apachectl to control the server
         Safe Code Updates on a Live Production Server
         An Intentional Disabling of Live Scripts
         SUID Start-up Scripts
         Preparing for Machine Reboot
         Monitoring the Server. A watchdog.
         Running a Server in Single Process Mode
         Starting a Personal Server for Each Developer
         Wrapper to Emulate the Server Environment
         Log Rotation
         Preventing mod_perl Processes From Going Wild

Thanks a million!

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide  http://perl.apache.org/guide
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org