I am guessing that the "headless" version is what I do this when I am
doing a shockwave piece which calls cgi scripts.  I create an html
version which provides a browser interface, albeit more boring, to
the same basic code so that I can more easily test the cgi side.

My strategy is to create two different versions of an "outputer"
class, and within the code always call it to do the printing.  For
example $outputer->printResults( $x, $y);  Then I create one outputer
class which outputs proper html and one which outputs what the
shockwave piece needs (much smaller).  Then depending on parameters
in the cgi calls or in the database, I instantiate the proper
outputter to handle the call.

Tim