Stas Bekman wrote:

> On Sun, 14 May 2000, w trillich wrote:
>
> > i noticed this in the html source of the new guide
> > (this was on porting cgi to mod_perl):
> >      <LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="text/css"
> >         HREF="style.css" TITLE="refstyle">
> >      <!--
> >         @import url(style.css);
> >      -->
> >
> > doubt this is what was supposed to show up in our browsers...
> > looks like asp, or similar, isn't turned on.
>
> Why, this is all fine, the <!-- --> are exectly in the JS, for old
> browsers.

right, i grok that <!-- --> hides it from older browsers;
but i thought the CONTENTS of file "style.css" should be showing
up there, instead of '@import...', until i (just now) learned
of the '@rules' of css.

but now, i'm thinking that you've got a redundancy there
(maybe for good reason--i dunno). here's a sample i ran across
at www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/cssFAQ.html:

<LINK REL=STYLESHEET HREF="main.css" TYPE="text/css">
<STYLE TYPE="text=css">
<!--
@import url(http://www.and.so.on.partial1.css);
@import url(http://www.and.so.on.partial2.css);
 .... other statements
-->
</STYLE>

they link to 'main.css' and then import some others;
you've linked to 'style.css' and then imported it again.

and do you need to include the 'url()' gadget?

> > maybe there's a way to put a hilite bar in the left margin
> > this way...? tables may still be easier. hmm...
>
> Hmm, interesting. Do you have a code sample?

testing this on netscape 4.7 gave me fits with 'font-family'
in the 'pre' tag: it just wouldn't take (everything was
always times-roman). so here's what i came up with:

<!--
.box {
        background-color: #ffffcc;
/*      border: 1pt;
*/      border-left-width: 12pt;
        border-style: solid;
        border-color: #cccc99;
        margin: 1pt;
        padding: 9pt;
}

/*
pre {  <== that'd be awful nice to keep frum munging the html
        background-color: #ffffcc;
        border-color: #cccc99;
        border-left-width: 5pt;
        margin: 1pt;
        padding: 9pt;
        font-family: courier,monospace,arial,sans-serif;   <== no-go!
        white-space: pre;
}
*/
-->

exit 0;</pre></div>

maybe you can decode what i was doing wrong on the 'font-family'
thing (or, maybe for code a monospace font isn't that crucial--only
when lots-o-spaces are used to visually align clusters of assignments)...

HTH :)