[EMAIL PROTECTED] (G.W. Haywood) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>On Fri, 19 May 2000, David Larkin wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help explain why PERL gives such a large memory
>> footprint & advise how to get around it.

My general philosophy (well, at least in these matters) is that large
chunks of reference data should be stored outside the application, in a
database or other appropriate place.  Let the code be the code, and the
data be the data.

If that's not possible, you can check out some of the CPAN modules that
let you store data as bare C data.  I've never had the need to use one,
so I can't recommend anything.

>> I require a large array of ints in a real application
>
>Er, real (as opposed to floating point:) ?

As opposed to imaginary, probably.  Or complex.  =)

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum