I've done everything I can think of to shore up any DB connection
flakiness but I'm still plagued by errors such as these:
DBD::Oracle::db selectcol_arrayref failed: ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer
failure
...this is only a problem under mod_perl, outside of the
mod_perl/Apache::DBI environment everything seems fine.  Once the db
connection is in this state, it's useless until the server gets a restart.

My connect strings look good and agree, I put Stas' ping method in the
DBD::Oracle::db package, set a low timeout,  called Oracle (they don't
want to hear about it).  Everything is the latest versions of
mod_perl/Apache/DBI/DBD::Oracle connecting to an Oracle 8.1.5 db on
Solaris.  Is Apache::DBI not up to it?  (it looks simple enough)

Maybe there's a better persistent connection method I should be looking
at?

--
Salon Internet                          http://www.salon.com/
  Manager, Software and Systems "Livin' La Vida Unix!"