"Randal L. Schwartz" wrote:

> Drew> I have read debates in the past about which browsers will reliably
> Drew> accept gzip content. Do you have a list of such browsers? IIRC, it was
> Drew> IE that was the most troublesome w/ proper display.
>
> Why base it on browser?  Won't checking the request "accept:" for
> /gzip/ be enough?  Then the browser can tell you whether it works or
> not, and you can just have an exceptions list for those that lie.
Well, in the discussion I was following, it seemed that the browsers
didn't always do what they said. IE seemed to be the usual culprit. ;-)

I probably won't be using compression any time soon as most of my
bandwidth comes from images. But it's good to know that it does work
pretty reliably.

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.