On Fri, 26 May 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> I have released Apache::Session 1.51.  The addition of the Oracle backing
> store took less time than expected.  It is included and tested in this
> release.  This is the only change from 1.50.
>
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Apache/Apache-Session-1.51.tar.gz

This new stuff looks really good.  This module has come a long way in the
time I've been watching the list.

A couple of notes on the Oracle storage module:

- Using "FOR UPDATE" forces the transactional lock model.  Is it possible
to make this optional?  The other modes allow the use of a "enforce data
integrity only" locking style which is sometimes needed.  I'm less worried
about people overwriting their own session data than I am about stale
locks, although I suppose Apache::DBI's cleanup handler should take care
of them.

- Oracle (the company) says not to use LONG anymore.  They are trying to
move everything to CLOB/BLOB.  I modified my Apache::Session::DBI to
support this, which mostly involved specifying "ora_type => ORA_BLOB" in
my bind variable parameters.  Maybe we need and Oracle8 module, separate
from the standard one?  By the way, BLOBs don't work with synonyms, so you
have to specify the schema name in the SQL when using them.

I know you were working on a BerkeleyDB storage module.  Are you still
working on it, or did you throw up your hands in disgust over the
BerkeleyDB module?  Although I don't have time right now, I could
eventually work on this if you aren't already doing it.

Finally, everybody loves benchmarks.  Do you have any cool speed
comparisons between the various storage and locking options?  I'm sure the
list would be very interested.  Even better would be a little benhcmarking
script that people could use on their own systems to do comparisons.

- Perrin