The following works on Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
mod_ssl/2.3.5 OpenSSL/0.9.3a

But when running on Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
mod_ssl/2.4.8 OpenSSL/0.9.4, I get the following problem
which _appears_ (I am not 100% sure) to be caused by
Apache::PerlVINC. I have the following section in my
httpd.conf

<Perl>
delete $INC{'Apache/PerlVINC.pm'};
require Apache::PerlVINC;
</Perl>

#<VirtualHost _default_:8444>
   DocumentRoot /opt/ward/DocumentRoot

   SetEnv IDVENV Production

   Alias /idv/ "/opt/ward/IDV/PROD/Scripts/"
   <Directory /opt/ward/IDV/PROD/Scripts>
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all

      DefaultType text/html

      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::Registry

#      PerlVersionINC On
#      PerlINC /opt/ward/IDV/PROD/Modules
#      PerlFixupHandler Apache::PerlVINC
#      PerlRequire Ward/IDV/IDVDatabase.pm
   </Directory>

# [ snipped some more Aliases ]

   <IfDefine SSL>
      SSLEngine on

# [ line 271 ]
      SSLCertificateFile    /opt/ward/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
      SSLCertificateKeyFile /opt/ward/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key

      SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
   </IfDefine>
#</VirtualHost>

As it stands it apache starts and things seem to work as expected.

The moment I uncomment the PerlVINC lines (or even just the first one)
apache fails to start without any error message (STDOUT or logs (LogLevel
debug)) or core file.

If I uncomment the VirtualHost tags I get the following error message in
the logs:
Syntax error on line 271 of /opt/ward/apache/conf/httpd.conf.idv:
SSLCertificateFile: only up to 2 different certificates per virtual host
allowed

Does Apache::PerlVINC interfer in anyway with mod_ssl ???. I don't
understand what is going on here.

Kees