I have been using DBI without Apache::DBI and have been simply
storing db connections in a global variable as a sort of poor man's
persistent connection when running under Apache::Registry.

Now I want to do things "right" and am trying to understand
Apache::DBI.  Before looking at the module  I imagined that it would
work by providing a library of persistent connections.  You would
check a connnection out of the library, use it, and then put it back
when you are done, like checking a book out of the library.  If you
disconnected the connection, you just wouldn't return it, and the
pool would have to create a new connection for the next user.

But this is not the way Apache::DBI works.  Instead, if I understand
correctly after glancing at the module this morning, two consecutive
identical connect calls will return the same connection!  Why isn't
this a problem?  Is the assumption that two different transactions
will use different user/pwd combinations?

Thanks,
Tim