IM> php4 *is* in the mix!  I installed it just so we could use phpMyAdmin (neat
IM> MySQL web client).  Can you ellaborate on this (URL, docs, etc)??  Is there
IM> a patch for php4 or should I jump back to php3?

by default, when you build php4 with mysql, it compiles its own copy
of the mysql client library statically into itself.  you need to tell
it explicitly to use your pre-installed copy.  if this is a shared
lib, it will be more friendly to the DBI since they will not have any
conflicting name space issues.