While you're "on the line" as it were John, I have a question:

In XS you can pop more than the number of args that were passed into the
function, but "Bad Things will happen".  But in perl, it's as if an actual
array were passed into the function.  Now everyone talks about subroutine
"overhead" and it's pretty significant.  Now there are probably two factors,
one being the lookup in the symbol table (gv), and the other being the creation
of that array.  However the second part of the equation doesn't "seem" to
happen in XS, so is there a lower "overhead" to a function call in XS?  (I know
it's all pretty trivial in terms of array creation of references, but I'm just
_curious_, not to mention it probably has to do a dlopen to the library, so it
might actually be higher..., but like I said I'm just sort of wondering)

Thanks,
Shane.