Hi Keith,

It sounds to me like you're not getting alot of help on this one.
Personally, I tend to agree with John the most. However, I find nothing
intrinsically wrong with what you want to do. If you really ~need~ to lock a
given data set against modification, then there are about a kagillion ways
to handle. My consern is still John's:

John Hughes> What do you do if user A goes away for lunch with the data
still locked?

So I'd set locks on write, not on read.

Depending on how sophisticated you need to be, you could just handle it at
the statement level by having your session (or whatever you like) record the
mod-date of the record you are looking at. Then:

 UPDATE my_table SET
     stuff...
  WHERE key = ?
     AND mod_time = ?