Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Joshua Chamas wrote:
> > > This sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand what you did.  The
> > > sessions are stored in a dbm file, right?  Don't you still need locking if
> > > all servers are trying to update the same NFS-mounted dbm file?  Or am I
> > > totally off on how session storage is implemented?
> > >

> > You might worry about this for concurrent writes to $Application,
> > or a framed application writing to $Session, so these are still
> > issues to worry about.
>
> Okay, so I take it each user session is stored in a separate dbm file?

Yes.

> Then you still need reliable locking to prevent lost updates, but in
> practice $Session collisions are unlikely due to the separate files.

Right.  Certainly not something you would trust a framed
site with ecommerce logic to but works in practice.

Note the SDBM_File is tolerant of concurrent writes,
corruption free, even if you lose data, DB_File is not.
The session manager will always use SDBM_File internally
even when DB_File is specified for Session & Application.

At this time, I wouldn not recommend the use of $Application
in an NFS environment due to the lack of locking which is
critical to its proper use.

-- Joshua
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA