We are not sure why but it appears that the time problem may end up being
specific to a DSO enabled, debian distribution of apache. When we
recompiled a static version, the time that the ASP processes reported
remained the same as the system clock (no changes from PDT to GMT). It
looks like this is a bad-compilation problem or an effect of DSO.