[snip]

> It also turns out that specifying "PerlSetupEnv Off" outside of any
> <Directory> apparently gets ignored.  Is that a bug?  I put another
> "PerlSetupEnv Off" in the <Directory> entry for the DocumentRoot, and
> now it's not doing these annoying subrequests anymore.

it is a bug (prior report:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=95867712412668&w=2) -
PerlSetupEnv is not inheriting properly.

I think this fell to low on the ToDo list since there is a (rather lengthy)
workaround of sprinkling PerlSetupEnv Off everywhere you need/want it.

> Anyway, after tracing through this stuff, I'm more convinced than ever
> that PerlSetupEnv is ugly and slow and to be avoided.

well, PerlSetupEnv Off is a known performance booster, now we know by how
much :)

--Geoff