Greg Cope wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I've writen a small IPC sysV based shared cache thingy ... (useing
> IPC::ShareLite), and I'd like some comments oin the design if anywants
> to crtique...
>
> Why / the problem:
>
> I work in a dept where the coderes (Me !) code, and the HTML design
> people do HTML.  The only commonality we share is that we agree on a tag
> name (place holder ... where they want my dynamic content to go) and the
> size of the content to be placed.  They then create the HTML (templates)
> with tags, and I code perl that looks for these tags in the templates.

I would recommend using Apache::ASP as it does everything you need.
First it allows for creation of your dynamic tags:

  http://www.nodeworks.com/xml.html

It will reload all of your templates dynamically at runtime, for
ease of development but also has advanced server startup parent
httpd compilation abilities for greatest scalability, where templates
are shared across child forks:

  http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/tuning.html#Precompile%20Scripts

Finally, it will give your designers a comfortable ASP scripting
environment, while giving you the developer powerful APIs like
the Script_OnStart event which you can use to customize the
global environment available to each script:

  http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/events.html#Script_OnStart%20%26%20Script_OnEnd

If you think its scarey that designers might be able to execute
arbitrary perl code in <% %> blocks, I have thought about allowing
a config option to turn these blocks off, so the compiler will
just strip them or render the raw code by default.  Might be like

  PerlSetVar CodeBlocks 0

This way, your designers would only be able to use the custom tags
that you provide for them.

-- Joshua
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA