[forwarded just in case anyone else is having similar problems]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:45:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jeff Horwitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Dave Edsall - The Tauminator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Problem with Authen::Krb4 under mod_perl

>    First, thank you for responding and responding so quickly. The answer to
> your question is yes, we are using open_ssl so that we can encrypt the
> password being sent to the web server. But, if there are name clashes, why
> would the script work under mod_cgi and not mod_perl? We use ssl in both cases.

mod_cgi simply forks off separate processes.  with mod_perl, the scripts
are interpreted and run in a Perl interpreter within apache.  Krb4.so is
loaded just like any other shared library, and will conflict with apache
if duplicate symbols exist.

>   Is there a way around the name clash problem?

yes.  build Authen::Krb4 with KTH Kerberos, available at
http://www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb.  it's a bit cleaner wrt the DES library,
and it's much easier to build as well!  :)

Jeff Horwitz                                 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager of Systems Operations                Phone: (610) 627-4575
LaserLink.Net, Covad Communications          Web: http://www.laserlink.net