well, I wasn't able to get that functionality into the existing design, but
that's ok because I wasn't too happy with it anyway :)

http://morpheus.laserlink.net/~gyoung/modules/Apache-Dispatch-0.03.tar.gz

is the new version.  I haven't uploaded it yet because I wanted to ask
anyone interested whether they are terribly upset that the API will be
changing and Apache::Dispatch won't support per-server handler calling.
Basically, you'll still need at least one <Location directive>, since in
order to get pre and post processing in, we had to move to PerlHandler from
PerlFixupHandler.

anyway, here's the new README.  I think the code generally cleaner than what
came before, so I'll upload it later in the week if nobody speaks up and
objects :)

--Geoff

NAME

Apache::Dispatch - call PerlHandlers with the ease of CGI scripts

SYNOPSIS

httpd.conf:

  PerlModule Apache::Dispatch
  PerlModule Bar

  <Location /Foo>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Dispatch

    DispatchPrefix Bar
    DispatchExtras Pre Post Error
  </Location>

DESCRIPTION

Apache::Dispatch translates $r->uri into a class and method and runs
it as a PerlHandler.  Basically, this allows you to call PerlHandlers
as you would CGI scripts - directly from the browser - without having
to load your httpd.conf with a slurry of <Location> tags.

EXAMPLE

  in httpd.conf

    PerlModule Apache::Dispatch
    PerlModule Bar

    <Location /Foo>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::Dispatch

      DispatchPrefix Bar
      DispatchExtras Pre Post Error
    </Location>

  in browser:
    http://localhost/Foo/baz

  the results are the same as if your httpd.conf looked like:
    <Location /Foo>
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlHandler Bar::dispatch_baz
    </Location>

  This configuration offers additional security by protecting the
  class from the browser and keeping the method name from being
  called directly. Because any class under the Bar:: hierarchy can be
  called, one <Location> directive is able to handle all the methods
  of Bar, Bar::Baz, etc...

CONFIGURATION DIRECTIVES

  DispatchPrefix
    Applies on a per-location basis only.  The base class to be
    substituted for the $r->location part of the uri.

  DispatchExtras
    A list of extra processing to enable per-request.  They may be
    applied on a per-server or per-location basis.  If the main
    handler is not a valid method call, the request is declined prior
    to the execution of any of the extra methods.

      Pre   - eval()s Foo->pre_dispatch() prior to dispatching the uri
              uri.  The $@ of the eval is not checked in any way.

      Post  - eval()s Foo->post_dispatch() prior to dispatching the
              uri.  The $@ of the eval is not checked.

      Error - If the main handler returns other than OK then
              Foo->error_dispatch() is called and return status of it
              is returned instead.  Without this feature, the return
              status of your handler is returned.

SPECIAL CODING GUIDELINES

Apache::Dispatch uses object oriented calls behind the scenes.  This
means that you either need to account for your handler to be called
as a method handler, such as
  sub dispatch_bar {
    my $class = shift;  # your class
    my $r = shift;
  }

or get the Apache request object yourself via

  sub dispatch_bar {
    my $r = Apache->request;
  }

NOTES

In addition to the special methods pre_dispatch(), post_dispatch(),
and error_dispatch(), if you define dispatch_index() it will be called
if the method is empty (eg, by /Foo or /Foo/).

There is no require()ing or use()ing of the packages or methods prior
to their use as a PerlHandler.  This means that if you try to dispatch
a method without a PerlModule directive or use() entry in your
startup.pl you probably will not meet with much success.  This adds a
bit of security and reminds us we should be pre-loading that code in
the parent process anyway...

If the uri can be dispatched but contains anything other than
[a-zA-Z0-9_/-] Apache::Dispatch declines to handle the request.

Like everything in perl, the package names are case sensitive.

Verbose debugging is enabled by setting $Apache::Dispatch::DEBUG=1.
Very verbose debugging is enabled at 2.  To turn off all debug
information set your apache LogLevel directive above info level.

This is alpha software, and as such has not been tested on multiple
platforms or environments for security, stability or other concerns.
It requires PERL_LOG_API=1, PERL_HANDLER=1, and maybe other hooks to
function properly.

FEATURES/BUGS

No known bugs or features at this time...

SEE ALSO

perl(1), mod_perl(1), Apache(3)

AUTHOR

Geoffrey Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2000 Geoffrey Young - all rights reserved.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.