try pnotes:
$r->pnotes(dir_name => $some_string);
or
$r->pnotes(dir_name => \$some_string);

> Another question.  From a handler, how can I change the value of a
> variable that was PerlSetVar'ed in httpd.conf?

you can use Apache::Table to get or set things in PerlSetVar:
$r->dir_config->get('foo');
$r->dir_config->set(foo => 'changed');

I haven't changed PerlSetVar like this, but a quick test showed that it
worked ok...

I've noticed that the Apache::Table way only works for PerlSetVar things on
a per-directory basis - it doesn't seem to inherit per-server variables
properly at this time...

HTH

--Geoff