The BerkeleyDB module hasn't implemented
DB->Env's USE_SYSTEM_MEMORY FLAG yet,
but we've been using it (via tied hashes)
for caching SSI output.  It's about 100
times faster than using IPC::Shareable,
and won't create shared memory segments
behind your back.

Unfortunately the eagle book's use of IPC::Shareable
doesn't match the current version of this module.
(AFAIK, there's little you can do now to keep IPC::Shareable
from eating up your shared memory).  It's not appropriate for
mod_perl use.

I would strongly recommend BerkeleyDB if you're only
sharing variables, not objects. Be careful when
compiling/installing BerkeleyDB on RedHat6.*, though!
It's not compatible with Redhat's GNU libc  ( it breaks
nsswitch, and something else if you try naively installing it
with the 'prefix=/usr' flag. Trust me- and read the install
docs! )

--
Joe Schaefer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]