Keith Bradnam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My understanding of perl is minimal, my understanding of mod_perl
> non-existant but I have a (simple) question that I can't find anywhere
> in the FAQ.  Hopefully someone can help?
>
> I've just installed the apache web server (1.3.12) on our Tru64 Unix box.
> One of the applications we run (via the web) suggests that you install
> mod_perl to increase efficiency...so I did (version 1.24).
>
> I noticed that during the install mod_perl creates a new version of httpd
> (in the src/ directory).  How is this version different to the version
> that apache creates?

It's got the Perl interpreter embedded in it.

Should I use the latter version in preference to
> the apache version?

Yes, if you want to use mod_perl.  You could also use the mod_perl
module as a DSO, which might let you use your current httpd, but there
have been some problems reported with that (may be solved, for all I
know).