I have very strange problem.  With a minimum configuration, (httpd -l) gives:
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_perl.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec

and with the following build:
Apache/1.3.13-dev (Unix) mod_perl/1.24_01-dev configured
running on Linux 2.2.14 with Perl 5.6.0

The only mod_perl module loaded is Apache:Icon. (httpd.conf is attached to
the end of this message)

When I first launch httpd, Apache:Icon reads and processes all of the
autoindex directives.

However, if I SIGHUP the running httpd root process with,
'kill -HUP httpd-root-pid'

I get the following in the error_log file:
Syntax error on line 11 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.dev:
Invalid command 'AddIconByType', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration

Note that this is a valid directive and that it works fine on the initial
launch.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

The following is my complete httpd.conf file.
#===============================
ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_dir.c
AddModule mod_perl.c
#PerlFreshRestart On
DocumentRoot /home/httpd/test/htdocs
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi Default.htm
default.htm
PerlModule Apache::Icon
#
#AddIconByEncoding (CMP,/icons/compressed.gif) x-compress x-gzip
AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.gif) text/*
AddIcon /icons/binary.gif .bin .exe
AddIcon /icons/tar.gif .tar
AddIcon /icons/compressed.gif .Z .z .tgz .gz .zip
AddIcon /icons/a.gif .ps .ai .eps
AddIcon /icons/text.gif .txt
DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.gif
#
ServerType standalone
Port 81
HostnameLookups off
User webuser
Group webgroup
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ServerRoot /usr/local/apache
ErrorLog logs/error_log.dev
LogLevel warn
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog logs/access_log.dev combined
PidFile logs/httpd.pid.dev
ScoreBoardFile logs/httpd.scoreboard.dev
LockFile logs/httpd.lock.dev
ServerName test.xorgate.com
UseCanonicalName on
Timeout 300