Derrick,

We've all had the same problem with running 'make test' under stronghold.
All my queries to the Stronghold folk about this went unanswered.
Carl Hansen detailed me about the steps to go through for a successful
installation and advised not to run 'make test'. I followed exactly that and
everything's working fine for me.

Here's what I followed:

install stronghold via their script into /export/home/strongholdtest
then
cd /export/home
zcat mod_perl-1.24.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd mod_perl-1.24
perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../strongholdtest/src/ DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=0
EVERYTHING=1
make

Note well USE_APACI=0 ie dont use it. Stronghold seems to be set up to build
using
the older system. You may have to go into ../strongholdtest/src/ and make
sure
Configuration is the way you want it.

The other complication is that Stronghold comes with an installation of perl
in it's
own directories. I didn't want to use theirs. Look in bin. They have a
wrapper script
'shperl' which just points to their version. I edited it to point to the
right version.
May have something to do with the 'make test' problem:
I suggest you do ' httpd -l ' to see that the modules you want are
indeed compiled in. Then , I just skipped 'make test', moved the httpd to
the right
directory, and just start using it.  If it works that is sufficient test.

You could debug their test script , but it is a waste of time.

Hope this helps!
-Pramod