well, I tried to understand what you were doing so I set up a quick test and
yes, it worked - but I may not be reproducing your setup exactly...

remember that custom_response() is a tie into Apache's ErrorDocument
handling, which uses an internal redirect, and for internal redirects you
can use $r->prev to get at the initial request's stuff.  See the eagle book
for more detail...

from this and your other post, you might want to take a look at
http://perl.apache.org/guide/perl.html#Exception_Handling_for_mod_perl

to get another perspective on exception handling...

HTH

--Geoff