A tip that may fix somebody else's problems.  My system is RH 6.2 and I
installed Apache and mod_perl from RPM's (please no flames :)

Upon installing Apache::ASP I got the dreaded SCALAR error in my error log
when testing the site/eg directory:
-----
no valid request object (Apache=SCALAR(0x831a48c)) passed to ASP handler;
if you are getting
this error message, you likely have a broken DSO version of mod_perl
which often occurs when using RedHat RPMs.  The fix here is to compile
statically the apache + mod_perl build.  Please check FAQ or mod_perl
archives for more information.
----

Looking at the default httpd.conf entries, the /perl directory handler is
missing a VERY important line: PerlSendHeader On

When I added this line, the examples worked perfectly!

Here is my mod_perl Location entry from httpd.conf:
Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/perl/
<Location /perl>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Registry
PerlSendHeader On
Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

I am not sure how the FAQ gets updated, but this may be a worthwhile
update.

Tyler