Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> Wouldn't this be handled just as well by running an Apache
> per customer and letting each manage it's own pool of children
> which will only connect to it's own database?

A server for every customer? Some customers use the application a lot
and could probably use their own server. Others may not use it that
much, so it seems like a waste of resources to allocate a whole server
to them. Better to share it with other low-use customers.

> I think you could make a better case for it in a situation where
> the reusability  of the connection isn't known ahead of time,
> as would be the case if the end user provided a name/password
> for the connection.

That's similar to what I'm saying - each customer would have a separate
login. If each user at a customer site had his/her own login, it gets
*far* worse. I would never design something that way, personally.

David E. Wheeler
Software Engineer
Salon Internet                                     ICQ:   15726394
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                       AIM:   dwTheory