Hey there

I am trying to replicate a website, and everything seems to work, except the database
I'm not sure, where to start, but I'll start with the code I saw on one of the .html files,  The password is sent to that html by the means of POST method .

 &( $user =  new singles::users $cgi::fields{password} ; '' )
 &is( ! ref $user )
 &skip(5)

the code should either authenticate a user or reject the password ..I'm new to Perl, and I'm not sure exactly what the above commands do...  but I got all the scripts in place and they should be working..  but they are rejecting all the passwords I try, even that I got my password files in place.  Maybe I don't have some pointers to the appropriate data loaded in some appropriate place.  Do you know how do I do that ?  or what the problem might be ?
Besides that, is there some info out there that can help me get started with building a database ? (in case I can't make this one work) or maybe also i could learn more about my database.  I also I have files called dbm.pl and dbm.pm.  is it a standard package somewhere ?

thanks,
Dennis