I'm having trouble when a browser sends a fair sized amount of data to
Apache as cookies - say around 8k.

I know that most clients will not allow cookies greater than 4k per cookie
(and often no more than 20 per hostname), and as such have broken the cookie
being sent out to be sent in smaller chunks, with names such as 'Cookie0',
'Cookie1', 'Cookie2', etc., which I would later concatenate back together to
obtain the full data that I had originally sent out.

However, when the browser sends data back to Apache, it sends all the
cookies on the same header line (Cookie: Cookie0=...; Cookie1=...;
Cookie2=...) and so on.  Apache then complains (and fails the request) with
a message of the sort:
[date]  [error] [client 1.2.3.4] request failed: error reading the headers

and spits out an error screen to the user with essentially the same message,
but including the "Cookie:" line

I assume this is due to a compile time directive to Apache specifying the
maximum size of a header line.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, could you point me in the
right direction?

Sorry if this seems to be a bit more of an Apache question than mod_perl.

Thanks -
Jody Biggs