Hi Greg,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Greg Cope wrote:

> I agree but apache has regex.h ... a regex libary - hence these should
> be possible - or am I missing the point ?

Actually regex.h is just a header file which contains the definitions
(functions, data structures etc) for the library.  There are often
many libraries to do the same or similar things, just like there are
many modules on CPAN which do similar things.  There are open source
libraries and commercial ones.

But Dave's right, a lot of things that are a couple of lines in Perl
are a real pain in C.  I generally make a choice fairly early on about
which to use and then stick with it.  The choice is based on past
experience but it's usually pretty obvious how it will go.

Generally it will take you five times as long to code something in C
as it will in Perl.  But it will often run five times faster and more
reliably.  Ask yourself why Apache (or even Linux for that matter)
wasn't written in Perl in the first place.

Horses for courses.

73,
Ged.