Thanks for reply.

I need some information in the Oracle database for access control.  We have
some methods in our proprietary library for Oracle access.  I have a file
called GateKeeper.pm that contains the access handler, sub handler{ ... }.
I placed the same code inside and outside of the handler subroutine in
GateKeeper.pm.  When the Apache starts up, those code outside of the handler
subroutine got executed.  It queries the Oracle and writes the result in a
file.  This part works fine.  However, when I requests a file and the access
handler is triggered, I got an error message says "Undefined subroutine
&dbChannel::command called at /usr/up/papi/lib/PAPIDatabase.pm", which is a
library file that works.

In general, how should database connections be handled between parent and
child processes?  Can you establish database connections from within a
handler?

Jason