I just this morning posted a query about this error showing up in my httpd error_log
file after doing a graceful restart on a server running RedHat.

Someone replied via email that it was probably do to a problem Apache has in killing
off children after the restart, particularly on RedHat servers.

This seems to be the case. I have the exact same set up on a Sun running Solaris 2.8,
and the error does not show up there. These are running the exact same version of
perl, Apache and mod_perl, even the same httpd.conf file.

So it would seem this error is probably just a manifestation of a more general problem
with Apache restarts on RedHat.

I hope this saves someone else a little time.

  Bob Stewart

  The Virtual Mirror