> The enterprise mod_perl architectures idea that I posted earlier has
evolved
> into a slightly modified idea: a 'scaling mod_perl' site:
> http://www.lifespree.com/modperl.
>
> The point of this site will be to talk about & synthesize techniques for
> scaling, monitoring, and profiling large, complicated mod_perl
> architectures.

No offense, but the content you have here looks really well suited to be
part of the Guide.  It would fit nicely into the performance section.
Making it a separate site kind of fragments the documentation.

> So far, I've written up a basic scaling framework, and I've posted a
> particular development profiling tool that we wrote to capture, time, and
> explain all SQL select queries that occur on a particular page of a
mod_perl
> + DBD::Oracle application:
> -http://www.lifespree.com/modperl/explain_dbitracelog.pl
> -http://www.lifespree.com/modperl/DBD-Oracle-1.06-perfhack.tar.gz

Take a look at DBIx::Profile as well.

> 1. Performance benchmarking code. In particular, I'm looking for tools
that
> can read in an apache log, play it back realtime (by looking at the time
> between requests in the apache log), and simulate slow & simultaneous
> connections. I've started writing my own, but it would be cool if
something
> else out there existed.

The mod_backhand project was developing a tool like this called Daquiri.

> If folks could just send me pointers to various caching
> modules and code, I'll test them in a uniform environment and let folks
know
> what I come up with.

There are a bunch of discussions about this in the archives, including one
this week.  Joshua Chamas did some benchmarking on a dbm-based approach
recently.

- Perrin