At 10:51 AM 12/8/00 -0800, Paul wrote:

>--- Nathan Torkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snip]
> > I'd rather see us find some way to churn out perl and mod_perl
> > programmers.  For instance, release a beginner class on Perl and
> > mod_perl and have local Perlmongers lead classes.  I have my slides
> > from the University of Perl, which I'd contribute to such an effort
> > (they're pretty closely based around the Eagle book, and some of the
> > details should be replaced with sections on Mason et al.).
>
>Makes sense. How do we drum up business?

Yup. I think we can come up with good course material, but then it's an
issue of marketing. You can lead a programmer to mod_perl, but you can't
make him take the course.

>I went to a local traning firm and offered to teach classes on Perl.
>The coordinators immediate (and breathlessly excited) response was "Do
>you teach Java?"
>
>Grrr.....

Well, there is clearly a demand for Java training because Sun never seems
to have a shortage of local classes in any major city. And specialized
trainers like Bruce Eckel (he is Java's answer to StoneHenge for Perl) seem
to be able to offer no end of traveling courses including those based on J2EE

Interestingly, I recall sitting in on one of Bruce's courses at Web98 (We
were teaching CGI/Perl for a day and he was teaching Intensive Java the day
before)... Bruce said he has tried to learn Perl but just couldn't wrap his
head around it.

>I could do Perl classes, for beginners to code or hardened veterans of
>most other languages (yes, even C++ ;o)
>
>I don't think I know enough yet to take people's money for mod_perl or
>Apache in general, but I don't *want* to teach Java. What should I do
>do convince people that Perl is a Good Thing?

Hmm. My belief is that trainers used to offer Perl. When I lived in the
Washington DC area I was always getting pamphlets about Perl and Adv Perl
weeklong courses several years ago. (Or perhaps they knew something about
my Perl coding...:))

So I am guessing such local trainings aren't offered as much anymore?

I think the problem for local training institutes is that they will offer
whatever the customer wants. If the customer doesn't want Perl then that's
the root of the problem. Unfortunately, the customer paying for the course
may be a CIO who has to justify the training cost to to his mgmt who may
only be hyped on Java as well.

>Maybe if we offered suitcase classes on sites like monster.com?

Perhaps it is we who should sacrifice ourselves to become managers such
that we force Perl upon the programmers coming into our departments just as
they, the managers of today, force Java down.

Viva La Revolution!

:)